// Ehlvest comments on Chess WC: Friday introduction <a href="www.ehlvestchessgates.com">My homepage!</a>

Ehlvest comments on Chess WC

Jaan Ehlvest is one of the few Grand Masters who has higher education. Graduated as psychologist he tries to give deeper insight to chess fans about what is really going on inside the ego of great players. Jaan Ehlvest's own psychology is explored in his autobiography "The story of a chess player". My homepage!

  • Ehlvest Chessgates
  • New York Chess Club
  • Monday, October 03, 2005

    Friday introduction

    Dear chess friends,
    You might find a lot of substantive comments about the ongoing FIDE World Championship in Argentina.

    Who is playing:
    Viswanathan Anand IND 2788 Veselin Topalov BUL 2788 Peter Leko HUN 2763 Peter Svidler RUS 2738 Judit Polgar HUN 2735 Michael Adams ENG 2719 Alexander Morozevich RUS 2707 Rustam Kasimdzhanov UZB 2670
    I see my duty to show you the ultimate criticism a la Nigel Short and as I know and played a lot of games with the current participants I might add some comments others may miss. I haven't had time to make psychological profiles of all the
    players. No chess player likes to reveal his own ego to somebody and not even to himself. So please do not take my short profile of players very seriously or personally-this isn't 'science'.
    Let start with the Judit. Judit Polgar I met first in 1988. She was in the Thessaloniki Chess Olympiad playing blitz games in a huge smoke filled lobby/bar. She was 12 years old. In 1996 I lost in the last round against her in the Vienna super-tournament and I was astonished how quickly she played. Later in the afternoon when I sobered up and looked the informator (the well known quarterly chess journal) I realized that it was all theory for Judith but not for me. This is the difference-you can not underestimate woman-they have their homework done. Character. She is vicious and when in 2001 in Ohrid after the European Championship she demanded accountability from FIDE executives who were responsible for the usual bad organization and "money laundering" Her polite husband got red faced but he did not say a word.
    Judith is a happy married woman and a mother and a well educated chess player but this is not enough to win the title-mens title.
    She may still spoil someones dreams in this tournament. If we are looking for some excitement it is good to have Judit there but fellows like Shirov and Ivanchuk are probably not weaker players then Judit and I personally miss them.
    Rustam Kasimdzhanov
    Only player I never met on board. If you want to make some money-my honest advice-take the odds they are offering and bet on Rustam, you may put him for sure on top three. In round two he agreed to a draw in a winning position against Svidler, but this only shows his strength, in later rounds he probably won't be so nice! Nobody wins this 128 players FIDE (World Cup) by chance. Rustam is my favorite.
    Michael Adams
    Micky is lazy-why did he not study the openings? Amazing that he managed to be on the top for years without proper opening preparation.
    Yes he can play the Petroff but this is not the opening for winners. He lost to Hydra, so if he has courage to use a pocket FRITZ he might be dangerous still.
    Peter Svidler
    Once he was very promising young player. Now he is happy family man. How many kids does he have two? He loves poetry, music, chess. I can not see in him any hidden bad thing. He is not the champion, not by passion.
    Peter Leko
    The champions usually grab the chances presented to them. Last year he had his chance against Kramnik-everybody hates Kramnik. Now everybody hates Leko. He's the man who analyses everything at home, even into drawn
    positions. Really pathetic.
    Alexander Morozevich
    Anti Leko. He did not find he's indecisive about his identity and his purpose. He is still my second favorite.
    Veselin Topalov
    He is trying so hard that it's painful to watch him, but he is
    doing well as a chess professional. He has Fischer's concentration, but has he. In some games he makes too many mistakes-I think Fischer was stronger than him. On the other hand in this shaky field he still has some chances.
    Viswanathan Anand
    Man who plays too quickly and is waiting for unforced errors. Still if this style works I am amazed and should return to play chess in top level again myself. I am waiting for the encounter between him and Rustam. Postscriptum. This was written
    on Friday September 30

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Arun said...

    anand lost na???????????

    11:53 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home